Monday, March 19, 2012

mastery monday. turning to the darkside with my new iphone.

iphones. the gateway to the darkside.
I've resisted for a while now. My aversion isn't because of the technology. I think it's great all of the things you CAN do with them. It's rather how many people are sucked into some alternate dimension of total dependency of their smartphone. Read: zombies.

I like zombie stories plenty, but I don't want to become one. I've had friends tell me about first dates and the other was literally on their smartphone the whole time. Or, the best, was when my friend was interviewing a girl for a receptionist & she literally gave her potential employer the 'hold on' finger so that she could check on the message that just came on her phone. You know, during the interview. (He ended the interview immediately after that, and she didn't get the job. Surprise, surprise.)

When I came across those Square card readers about a year ago, I finally decided that I should reconsider my stance on smartphones. And I've successfully put it off for a year. Then my reliable phone that I've had for 5 years died on me finally. So, on to the dark side. And all the gadgets that go hand in hand with the turn.
Bird planner (design by Valentina Ramos) from Barnes & Noble.
hands on kind of gal.
So, of course now that I have my iphone, I get to shop for all sorts of goodies to go with it. I don't think I can ever truly not have a physical planner to write down things. I've tried only using my google calender, but it's just not the same as writing it down.

I discovered the art of Valentina Ramos when I got my planner (above). I love her designs. And you can get all of her flowers or owls or birds on iphone cases or fabrics or bedding or laptop skins, etc. You gotta go check them out HERE>>> Sooo pretty.

Those cases got me a little more excited about the iphone. Then I finally spent some time getting to know it last night (after my mourning during the day for the loss of my ol' reliable). Okay...and it IS pretty cool. Got the Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram apps done. Got the mail all tied in. Digging the compass feature (I dunno- because I'm a nerd like that).

All in all...I can see how everyone gets hooked on the things. But I will resist becoming a zombie with as much force as I can muster!

Please feel free to share your app recommendations!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...