Sunday, April 15, 2012

Festival On Ponce - Atlanta, GA - Spring 2012


As a kid, I helped my grandmother out in her booth at arts & crafts shows across the Southeast. Now, I've finally made up my mind to carry on & start doing my own shows. Of course, there is something like sticker-shock when you start looking at the costs involved. So, I'm checking out the Atlanta area shows as some research to decide if certain ones are duds.

Anyways. So yesterday we checked out the Spring Festival On Ponce show in Decatur area of Atlanta. It's one of those over the $200 mark for a booth. And it does get good foot traffic...but I didn't notice too many people actually buying. Yeah, there were some...I'm just not sure that I have warm fuzzies about making up the booth fee & then some.


Of course the, what I like to call, Food Truck Alley was hoppin' with a non-stop stream of customers...but that's always the case with festivals & food vendors.

By the way, we tried out the gourmet grilled cheese & pastrami/corned beef sandwiches at the Rolling Reubens food truck & they were delicious. And, as our tradition requires, we sampled a couple new flavors from the King of Pops stand. The strawberries-n-cream & the chocolate/sea salt pops did not disappoint.


See, I think that's one happy customer. ;)




Now, don't think I forgot about the actual artists. These three were my favorites.

First, Shijun H. Munns' art has this very dreamy like quality. Very feminine...very serene. Her art caught my eye, honestly, because she actually had numerous pieces featuring black cats that reminded me of my awesome feline, Oslo.

Take a 180 from her work is that of Thomas Chavalia's booth. I took a few year's worth of black & white photography & am always partial to that at art shows. His work is very gritty and urban feel. The distressed look on his B/W transfers add to the decay of his subjects. I know this art isn't for everyone, but I have this love of art capturing of moment in time of a subject that was once whole, but is now ravaged with time. It reminds me that we our time on this earth is a fleeting thing.


Sarah Kargol's art cracked el kiddo and me both. Her reinterpretation of Vermeer's Girl with Pearl Earring (her version above in first image in post) caught my eye immediately considering I studied art history back in college. Then right next to that, she had her version of one of my fav's: Hopper's Nighthawks. And what monster themed art wouldn't be complete without a spoof on one of Coolidge's Dog Playing Poker series (above)? I didn't see a link to her Etsy shop on her site, but you can shop her work on Etsy HERE. Love them!


Today we are going to check out Alpharetta Arts Streetfest. It's smaller than Ponce's, but usually packed with people. I'll share any good finds with you.

Also, stay tuned, because so long as the weather cooperates, I'll be bringing Cardinal House goodies out to The Midway Pub this next Saturday (4/21) for the East Atlanta Village Earth Day Festival Arts & Crafts show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...