Thursday, April 19, 2012

Acworth Art Fest - Spring 2012


So, it should be said that el kiddo really wasn't mad about me taking the picture. He said that it's because I made him do it there in the sun. Whoops. And that reminds me that we still need to do that scavenger hunt for his sunglasses too!

I don't want to offend here, because it's not that we had a bad time or that it was a bad show...overall, it just wasn't our favorite sort-of show.... And, really, I think it's that I expected a little more from the Splash Festivals that coordinates this show & two others in the ATL area. I was hoping that this & the others would be a potential for me participating in & now I feel let down.

So, why am I disappointed...from a vendor's point of view? 
1) The vendors page on their site only lists their actual names...not the business names...and no links to the vendor websites. Sorry, but that is a little pet-peeve of mine because I had to do a lot of google-searching to match up some of the artists I liked!

2) There was a decent kids' play area (not the inflatables, but one of those gym buses & crafty-type areas), but no other entertainment for the big 'kids'. Some local music would have been great to listen to while we strolled the vendor booths. Oh, and did I mention that the kiddie craft area was trimmed out in pinks & purples....my SON didn't want to gt infected with girl cooties. just sayin'....

3) A lot of the same. I saw multiple booths with VERY similar items. Do you know how disappointing that can be for a vendor?  Visitors come looking for unique & not-likely-to-find-elsewhere items at these arts & craft shows. When they see 2 or more booths with what casually looks to be the same thing...well, what a jip...  :(


Okay, okay. But I did see some work worth mentioning.
My favorite artist was Thomas Burns & his vintage travel poster spin to Atlanta area landmarks (like Marietta's big chicken- above left), well-known hot spots (like The Vortex in L5P- above center), or the holiday pink pig train at *now* Macy's (above right). If you don't get it, well, then you don't know jack about the ATL.



I also really liked the jewelry by Silver Handles made from well old silverware!


And we can't have jewelry made from silverware without more made from broken china pieces! And these are handmade...not bought pre-set from one of the jewelry supply companies (I'm such a meanie, huh?!). Go check out the rest of her stuff at Cracked Up Jewelry (cute name- lol).



I plan on going to the Dunwoody Festival on Mother's Day weekend, which is also hosted by Splash Festivals. We'll see how that one goes...if nothing else, I know it's going to be close enough to grab some fabulous grub from the Village Burger (one of my FAV burger joints)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...